McLaren test cancelled over safety concerns

Date published: November 13 2017

McLaren-Honda and Pirelli have both agreed to cancel the scheduled tyre test at Interlagos amid concerns over their safety in Brazil.

McLaren were due to stay behind for extra running and help gather data for the 2018 compounds but that will no longer go ahead following a string of armed robberies throughout the Brazilian Grand Prix weekends.

A Mercedes minibus was targeted and Lewis Hamilton revealed that some of the team members had been held at gunpoint before having their possessions stolen.

Sauber, Williams and the FIA have also suffered attacks throughout the weekend which has cast further doubt on whether the Brazilian Grand Prix should remain on the Formula 1 calendar.

Extra security was supposed to be put in place after Sunday’s race but many reporters in the paddock said that did not come to fruition.

“We have jointly decided with Pirelli to cancel this week’s tyre test at Interlago,” McLaren said in a statement.

“The safety of our people has always been our top priority, and, given recent events, we felt that it was an unnecessary risk to proceed.”

The cancellation means Lando Norris will not getting some more Formula 1 experience on Tuesday and Wednesday.